Misc. Info on current story

New chapters are released on Mondays at 8 am PST. Stay tuned for the next part of the journey!

Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sundnday
Join us on Twitter or Instagram at @SunDnDay

Like 3D printing? Check out our designs at www.thingiverse.com/SilverWolf2814/designs

Monday, June 25, 2018

Adventures in Oerth- The Bane of Vecna: Book Two, Chapter Nineteen

Nothing Really Matters


Dramatis Personae:
Aurora Isilime, the Valley Elf Bard of Valor, Maestro, Bae'qeshel and former Champion of Lolth, Lore Wizard, the Silver Tongued Siren, Knight of Summer
Charlotte, Aurora's violet Faerie Dragon familiar
Dervish, the Kasathe Dullahan Brass Dragon Fighter and Dragon Blood Sorcerer, Knight of the Erl King
"Shadewing" Corvis Cairunis Umbrusalarim, the Shadow Elf Dullahan Hexblade Warlock of the Raven Queen
Cloak, Shadewing's Empty Cloak familiar
Alfred, Shadewing's Raven familiar 
Zorack, the Elftaur Dullahan Ranger Bounty Hunter  Knight of Winter
Gewnter, the Falcon Dullahan Monk and Zorack's companion
Alucard, the ancient all powerful wizard; formerly Oryn Talus, the ancient and mysterious halfling who has employed the party; also know as Cinder, the ancient power that is said to destroy every world
Lan El'Mandragoran, the Human Paladin of Pelor
Aerathema, the Wood Elf Druid
Sil'ilos'anon Braz'Dracon, the "Drow" Warlock Blood Mage of Lolth, and the new DEATH
Elder Vish, Dervish's friend and mentor from his world, Knight of Spring

Comrades we have lost:
Narg, there's really no way to describe Narg, Narg is just Narg- sacrificed himself to aid the party
Ralliakkan, the Drow Rogue- killed by Lyathfikash
Mara Nemestk, the Human Champion- killed by the outside
Ceidil Rein, the Human Champion- taken by the outside, then killed by party
Eurydice, the Faerie Dragon Feylock- taken by the outside, then killed by party
Pharin Braz'Dracon, the Brass Dragon-Drow Conjurationist Wizard and Priest of Lolth- returned to Faerun
Andolin Braz'Dracon, the Brass Dragon-Drow Fighter/Beast Master- returned to Faerun
Lothar, the Sovani Smith and semi-Cleric of Moradin, High Priest of Lolth, Cleric of Istus, forced Cleric of Asmodeus; Kas Reincarnated - sacrificed to ressurect Alucard
Oryn Talus, the ancient and mysterious halfling who has employed the party- fractured himself into 4 parts to prevent cult from taking his soul
Willow Liadon, the Eladrin Arcane Trickster- sent to Elysium through a trap and was never heard from again

NOTE: Things will be mostly from Aurora's perspective. Anything in italics is from a third person, since the bard can't be everywhere at once.

***** Diamondice 20, CY 711, the ancient abandoned city

       Vecna attempted to teleport away after receiving a nasty blow from the Gunslinger, but Shadewing and Alfred countered his magic, keeping him there. The barbarian archers Dervish summoned accidentally shot Alucard instead of Vecna, and knocked him unconscious briefly. 

       Outside the castle, I carefully placed a meteor swarm spell so it would hit Jarrid, Aeryn, and Aerys, but miss Jayce, but somehow it missed Jarrid completely and destroyed Jayce. I barely managed to keep my cool and not curl up in a ball of misery over destroying him. Dervish sent a flurry of magic missiles at Jarrid and the twins; hurting Jarrid badly, but the spell fizzled out when it reached Aeryn and Aerys. 

       I was hit by an arrow from one of the twins, and suddenly realized that nothing we were doing mattered. What was the point in any of this? Vecna would win no matter what we did. I sighed and watched my allies fight what I now knew was a pointless battle. 

       A group of dinosaurs appeared, probably summoned by Gewnter, but I don't see why he bothered, they wouldn't do us any good. The Gunslinger managed to drop both of the twins, leaving just Jarrid between Vecna and us. I decided to eat Jarrid, but I missed. It was pointless to try in the first place. Then Dervish made a shitty shot and hit me instead of Jarrid. Alucard grabbed Jarrid and hurled him into a black hole, then went straight to the castle to deal with Vecna, not that it would work. I sat back on my haunches and sang about how pointless everything was.

       Vecna put himself into the fabric of reality, but things began to look like they were in a different reality. The lich-god was trying to merge his realm with reality. Shadewing tried- and failed- to put Vecna's realm into a bag of holding. Alucard stabbed into the fabric of the realm, preventing Vecna from fully merging into the material realm. Everything went black, and dark clouds rolled in. 

       Suddenly, I was myself again and surrounded by spirits who were bound here. It was everyone who'd died in this ancient city so long ago... and Jayce. He was mixed into the crowd, whispering to me that it was all my fault he was trapped here. I tried to push through the crowd, but he was always just out of my reach. I sat down to wait for death so I could join him, and realized I could just end it all now. There was no point to living. I plunged my dagger into my chest and Jayce's face filled with relief, he began walking toward me. As my life began to slip away, he caressed my cheek, looking at me like I'd dreamed he would, I felt peace. It was like he was guiding me toward an afterlife with him. I felt relieved. 

       Then it was all ripped from me and I was in the castle with the others. Alucard had pulled me here. I screamed in rage at him to send me back. I needed to be with Jayce. It was all I wanted. Then he hit me in the temple and I crumpled. The Gunslinger was able to heal Aurora's body, but not her soul, she still longed to be with Jayce, and didn't think what they were doing would make any difference.

       Right after I awoke from my attempt to join Jayce, everything went black. Alucard told us to close our eyes so he could get rid of whatever was causing the darkness. There was a bright white light that shone through my closed eyes, and then it felt like we were in a vacuum for a couple of seconds. We were still in the castle in the ancient city, but it was also Vecna's realm, and it was looking bad. We'd been chipping his domain away, piece by piece.

       A scream of rage echoed around us, Vecna did not like whatever Alucard had just done. Shade called out that Vecna should come down here and say that, so he did... hurting Shadewing badly. Zorack and Dervish began launching arrows at Vecna while I healed Shade. Since Vecna is the one who took Jayce from me in the first place, I felt somewhat driven to destroy the lich-god, avenge the love I never got to have. 

       Shadewing reached for Vecna's strands of fate to try to stop him that way, but it didn't seem to help our present situation at all. Vecna waved his arms and attempted to banish Shade, failing miserably; then he tried and failed to banish Dervish; then he went for a group banishment, sending Dervish, Zorack, and the Gunslinger away. Now it was just Alucard, Shadewing, and I against Vecna. Shade then tried to banish Vecna- failing- and Vecna tried and failed to banish Shade, again. This was ridiculous. I hummed a spell that would help me glimpse the future enough to try to evade anything Vecna threw at me. Alucard waved his hands and shot a beam of brilliant light at Vecna, searing the strands of fate it touched. Vecna screamed in rage and vanished, again. This was so fucking pointless.

       Everything rumbled, like someone had punched this plane of existence. Shade held his hands slightly apart and focused, creating a small ball of energy between them. Everything shook again, and Dervish appeared, with Daggon... So much for the Outsiders not getting in the way of our fight with Vecna. That idiot just made our pointless fight with the lich-god even more fruitless. We could never hope to beat both of them. Alucard saw what Shade was doing, grabbed the energy ball Shade had been forming, shoved it in a bottle, and jumped out the window. My rod of security wouldn't work, so I grabbed Zorack and used my dimension door to get us out of the castle. We got out just in time, the tower exploded and was completely destroyed. 

       Shadewing sort of died in the blast, and became a dullahan for the Raven Queen.

       Of course that didn't really do anything to help us. A colossal Vecna rose out of the ground with tons of undead appearing behind him. He was now about the same size as Daggon, which made the battle oh so much better. We're so completely fucked. If I wasn't fighting in Jayce's honor, I'd just walk away now; we were never going to win this fight. Zorack's arrows were just bouncing right off of Vecna, so the boys got the idea to get inside his head, literally. Alucard and the Gunslinger stayed on the ground, but Dervish, Zorack, Shade, and I all teleported right up to his eardrum. 

       Vecna, being the petty little douche that he was, started shrinking as soon as we got there, but we all got out in time. Just as we escaped, Daggon hit Alucard hard enough to send him flying. I turned into an ancient void dragon in hopes its abilities would give us something. The problem was, at that exact moment, Dervish did something that let him go nova, vaporizing the entire atmosphere. Vecna's realm was completely gone.

       I found myself sitting in front of Shade, along with the other boys, and Shade offered to turn us into dullahans too. The boys agreed, but I didn't. I just couldn't do that. Upon my refusal, I was suddenly in Ehlonna's grove, face-to-face with my goddess. The melancholy that had been in my soul since Aerys shot me was gone, I was no longer filled with the overwhelming need to die and join Jayce. I fell to my knees and asked Ehlonna to send me back... I needed to see the fight with Vecna through to the end. 

       Ehlonna granted my request, and I was suddenly free-falling over Oerth. I hopped on my broom and surveyed the world below me; there was a massive scar on the earth, likely created by that explosion, and I could see the massive form of Daggon, but no sign of Vecna. After taking in the scene, I sent a message to the boys, hoping any of them were still alive. Alucard teleported me to him and Shadewing, and as soon as I arrived, he turned into Lord Dementor and gave me the Armor of Cinder, since my armor was my Mantle, which had left me again.


       Zorack, the Gunslinger, Dervish, and Gewnter appeared at that moment, all as dullahan. It was time to end this shit once and for all. Shadewing tried to reap Daggon, which didn't work at all. Daggon attempted to step on us, but thankfully missed, and Dervish swung at his foot, hoping to hit him in the Achilles, but he failed. Shade swung his scythe at the Outsider, and I sung a spell at him that should have turned him into a gibbering idiot, but Daggon just barely managed to deflect my magic. The Gunslinger shot at Daggon, and he screamed, his flesh began to rapidly decay and his body began to crumble to dust. It was really fucking impressive, until enough of the body had crumbled to reveal Vecna standing behind him, holding Zorack's slaying arrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment