Misc. Info on current story

New chapters are released on Mondays at 8 am PST. Stay tuned for the next part of the journey!

Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sundnday
Join us on Twitter or Instagram at @SunDnDay

Like 3D printing? Check out our designs at www.thingiverse.com/SilverWolf2814/designs

Monday, August 21, 2017

Tales from Toril- The Adventures of Critical Bumbersnoot: the Odd Company: A Yawning Portal Novella, Chapter Four

Queen of the Dragon Thingys

Dramatis Personae:
Winry Steamgear, the Rock Gnome Alchemist Artificer
"Critical" Bumbersnoot, Winry's Dachshund Mechanimal Construct
Mara Quinn, the Water Genasi Werewolf Sea Sorceress
Steve, Quinn's Octopus familiar
Oskar Heartforge, the Shield Dwarf Werewolf Priest of Moradin
Jak Foostus, the Minotaur Monk

NOTE: Things will be mostly from Winry's perspective, anything in italics is from a third party view, since the artificer can't be everywhere at once. 

***** Tarsakh 16, 1489 DR (The Year of the Warrior Princess), White Plume Mountain

       As we settled down to rest, I looked at my watch and realized that it would be dark soon, and we likely had one more day of the full moon- so Oskar would turn during our rest. I pulled some of the weird rope out of my bag, since it seemed a little more durable than our normal rope. We decided Oskar would take first watch- since that was way before dark. Quinn would take second watch, and at the end of that watch she'd wake both Jak and I up. The two of them would secure Oskar while I took the next watch. It was a little convoluted, but we thought it might work.

       Unfortunately our plan didn't work as well as we'd hoped. While the weird rope I'd found was more durable, it was also slicker, making it easier for Oskar to wiggle out of, so as soon as he shifted, that was exactly what he did. Jak began pounding on him instantly, trying to subdue him so we could tie him back up. Oskar bit Jak in the process of getting beat on though- but thankfully he didn't turn. Bumbersnoot bit Oskar to distract him while Jak finished beating him unconscious. Once he was finally down, Jak and Quinn got him tied back up, then Quinn tended to his wounds- not enough to wake him, just enough to make sure he didn't bleed out... Then she cried out in pain and shifted. Fanfuckingtastic. Jak, Bumbersnoot, and I knocked her out quickly though- she was hella easier to drop than the dwarf.

       While waiting for the others to wake up, I tinkered with that weird gun thing that I'd found on the dead body in here. After an hour or so of messing with it, trying to figure out how to take it apart, it bit me or something. There were these two weird, metallic looking dots on my palm. It was hella weird. I kept messing with it for a while longer, trying to figure out where the bullets went, and how the damn thing worked. Eventually Jak passed out, so it was just Bumbersnoot and I keeping watch. Not that it was entirely necessary, since the spider-scorpions and dragon things didn't seem to be able to get in this room.

       After a few more hours, I started feeling sick; I was cold, clammy, and burping some serious acid. I almost puked, but managed to keep it down, just barely. Before I could regain composure, Quinn howled- literally- in pain, and her chest exploded outward. A weird ass snake thingy came out and went to the wall, burning it with acid. Jak was not happy about being woken up- and he tossed darts at it, until it retaliated by whipping him with its tail. I shot it with my crossbow, but it managed to escape through the hole it had made before we could kill it. I mended the wall- I'd figured out that hella cool mending spell Quinn uses! The really fucking weird thing, was somehow Quinn wasn't dead. Her heart- which we could see through the massive hole in her chest- was beating very slowly, and she was breathing.

***** Tarsakh 17, White Plume Mountain

       I searched the desk the body was slumped over, and found a map of the ship, along with a manual for the it. I couldn't make heads or tails of most of it though. After that I started working on reverse engineering a stasis ball, if I could crack the secret I could make more of them, or at least reset the ones we'd missed with. I still felt hella sick though, and I was getting kinda restless.

       When Oskar shifted back to himself, we untied him, and he attempted to tend to Quinn's wound, that had been healing very slowly throughout the night. After flushing out her wound and bandaging it up- because there really wasn't much else he could do- Quinn woke up. Apparently Oskar biting her saved her life.

       A little bit later Oskar randomly grabbed my Alchemist Satchel of Holding and dumped it out. Loose screws and gears and cogs and parts clattered to the ground and began rolling away. Oskar began chasing one of my stasis balls, and grabbed the ring we'd gotten from the dude we fought with the werewolf. He put the ring on, then shifted into a wolf and nosed at the ball. Jak decided to humor him and tossed the ball. Oskar caught it and started shaking it- and the werewolf popped out. And I wasn't paying fucking attention to how he did it, because I was focused on all of my things scattered around the floor, getting stepped on or lost. As soon as the werewolf was out of the ball Oskar began nosing the ring on her finger. Quinn grabbed for it and Oskar pounced and bit her. I asked if he wanted the ring and he barked at me, once I'd grabbed it her nodded at Quinn, so I put it on her. After he shifted he said that the rings would give them control over their animal instincts.

       Even though Quinn was hella fucked up, with a gaping hole in her chest, she was a trooper, and she didn't want to hold us up while she rested more. We decided to take the moving closet- or elevator, as the map called it- down to the armory, since it looked like it was just off the exit to the closet. I fiddled with the controls for a minute before I figured them out, and since we couldn't all fit in that thing, the boys went down first. I gave them one of my talkie stones so they could let us know when it was clear for us to come down, and sent them down.

       Oskar and Jak were attacked instantly by face huggers when they stepped out of the elevator- but they killed them instantly. 

       After Quinn, Bumbersnoot, and I got down there, the boys gave me a case for that gun thingy I've been fiddling with, I hoped there were schematics inside so I could figure it out. That was the only thing in the entire armory too, which was a little disappointing.

       Before we stepped into the hall, Oskar activated his spirit guardians again, to help keep the spider-scorpions away from us. We heard screams in the distance as they met their ends from his spell. We reached what the map called the cargo bay, and getting that door open was a bigger bitch than usual, as if someone had done something to prevent us from opening it. The second the doors opened, all of our active spells ended, even Bumbersnoot's energy core flickered a little bit.

       Spider-scorpions came flying at Jak, and they all missed. Oskar got his guardians up again and screams echoed around us. I tried to put my shield of faith on Bumbersnoot, but the spell wouldn't go off. Maybe Oskar's only worked because of Moradin, it would make sense, though it's hella annoying. Two of the dragon thingys came at us, slashing and- thankfully- missing. Quinn vanished. Jak started beating the hell out of it, and Oskar attempted to give him a restorative spell, but it didn't work. I was able to get my shield back on Bumbersnoot, and then I missed it with my crossbow. This would be so much easier if my alchemical formulas worked on these fuckers.

       Another dragon thingy popped out of a nearby vent and went right for Oskar, so Bumbersnoot bit it. Then a bigger dragon thingy popped out of another vent and went for Bumbersnoot, missing, thankfully, but then it whipped Oskar with its tail. Jak began beating on the dragon thingys, as Quinn reappeared- I think she was using a blink spell, but she didn't do anything before vanishing again. Oskar's spiritual weapon appeared and killed one of the dragon thingys. Bumbersnoot bit into one of the dragon thingys, and I missed horribly. It's been a while since I've actually had to use my crossbow, my formulas are much more efficient- and they look way cooler.

       Then a weird clicking noise rang out and a bunch of steam poured from the vents, which was followed by a shift in gravity; we were suddenly standing on the wall instead of the floor, poor Bumbersnoot couldn't keep his footing and got knocked over, but the dragon thingys were still where they'd been standing. Jerks.

       One of the dragon things grabbed Jak and began dragging him away; the minotaur squirmed and tried to beat on it, but he didn't seem to do much to it. I could hear screeching coming from deeper inside the room, but we couldn't see anything through that damn fog. A spider-scorpion went after Jak, but he managed to fend it off. Quinn began attempting to manipulate the fog, but she didn't seem to be actually doing anything to it. Oskar's spirit weapon scored a hit on one of the ones on Jak. Poor Bumbersnoot couldn't move much from the prone position he was in, so I decided to try out that gun I'd been tinkering with. It went off, but I missed the dragon thingy with it.

       I heard that clicking noise again, and we were all shunted to the ceiling... and Bumbersnoot fell again. My poor puppy was not doing well in this crappy room. Somehow the dragon thing that had been holding on to Jak moved to strike him and killed itself instead... what the Hells? This place is hella weird. Oskar's spiritual guardians polished off another dragon thing, and the one closest to him tried to flee, but he threw his hammer at it. A roar rang out through the room, accompanied by skittering and dripping noises- it almost sounded like it was raining. Jak dropped a flask of alchemist's fire on the spider-scorpions that were near him, and Quinn zotted one of the bigger dragon thingys. Oskar speared it with his spirit weapon, and Bumbersnoot jumped to try to get me a better shot at it... instead he landed on his back. I really need to make him something that'll let him stick to walls or fly or something. He needs to be better equipped for other terrains. I guess I know what my next project will be. Being squished by my pup distracted me, so when I fired off my shot at the dragon thing it instead went into a feedback that tingled up my arm. It stung, like getting zapped by lighting.

       The fucking gravity shifted again. This place is just fanfuckingtastic. Now I want to take it apart just to spite it, instead of in the name of technological advancement. With the position Bumbersnoot and I were in, he couldn't even try to orient us, and we just fell against the stupid wall. Jak killed a bunch of the spider-scorpions, and I saw Oskar beating on the dragon thing with both his spiritual and physical weapons. I missed again with that gun I found, right before the clicking returned...

       Bumbersnoot and I tumbled so badly that we ended up in another room, and he was crushing me. Before I could attempt to right us, I felt a spider-scorpion's tail curl around my throat. I felt a burst of holy energy knitting my flesh back together and I began to lose consciousness.

       What was probably only a few seconds later, I came to, minus the spider-scorpion. I groggily healed myself and we took a moment to collect ourselves before we began moving deeper into the dark, foggy room. This place sucks.

       As we moved forward, Oskar was keeping the spider-scorpions at bay with his spirit guardians again. When we finally saw more spider-scorpions, Jak began chucking darts at them. They scattered in fear, and I could just make out a large form in the gloom up ahead. Two dragon things appeared on either side of us and began beating on Jak. Then a tail and some prongs lashed out from the mists, with the rest of the form following... It was a huge dragon thingy with massive claws that swiped at Jak, knocking him out before grabbing him and yanking him back into the mist. The dragon things went for Oskar next, and they began wrapping him in a cocoon- though he busted himself out pretty much instantly. A trident came out of the gloom to impale me- I heard myself cry out from the sheer agony of that stab... it was the trident that Quinn had lost, Wave.

       Then it started raining fucking acid and the stupid gravity shifted again. Oskar got caught in an acid web by the dragon things that looked more like spiders- these things were hella weird. Oskar and Quinn were grappled by the huge dragon thing, and Quinn found herself stabbed with Wave. Wave apologized to Quinn as he stabbed her, and Quinn attempted to convince the trident to turn against the xenomorph queen to aid her instead. Then one of the spidery dragon things hit Quinn with a web and she slumped over. I felt white-hot pain lance throughout me as a tail speared me.

      Winry fell unconscious from the tail stab, and was lifted into the air, with Bumbersnoot dangling under her. Oskar was able to send out a healing burst to revive the party, since everyone was down except for him. I came to in the air, with the dragon thing gripping me. I shot the tail with my gun and finally hit something with it! I missed with my quickrazor though, and Bumbersnoot couldn't wiggle to attack the tail to aid me. The tail stuck me to the wall. Literally. I saw the big one grab Quinn out of the web just before it vanished. Oskar had banished it!

       One of the damn spider-scorpions overpowered me and grabbed onto my face... Winry fell unconscious from the face hugger, which was then squished as the gravity shifted again. Bumbersnoot yanked the dead face hugger off of his mistress' face and slammed it down, killing a second one. He nosed at Winry, but she didn't wake. The pup activated the vinegar in the jug within him, and sprayed a small mist of it in Winry's face. 

       I returned to consciousness by the sharp scent of vinegar assaulting my nostrils. It was still a better scent than the dragon things produced, and I was awake; Bumbersnoot is such a good puppy. I in turn revived Jak; I couldn't get to Quinn yet, she was stuck to the wall with a spider-scorpion attached to her. Jak and Oskar began beating on the spider-scorpions around them, while Bumbersnoot and I hurried to Quinn. Bumbersnoot yanked the spider-scorpion off of Quinn and I revived her.

       There were two dragon things left- one of which was a spidery one. Jak stunned one of them while Critical Bumbersnoot hit it right in the face with his steam breath, killing it! The spidery one tried to bolt but Oskar was able to stop it long enough for Jak to catch it in a stasis ball. Quinn caught the dragon thing that Bumbersnoot had just dropped. Oskar called out to us that we only had a few more seconds before the huge dragon thing was back, so we needed to hurry; he also tried to put one of the eggs in a ball, but missed completely.

       Quinn was in such bad shape she could barely walk, so I shrunk her so she could fit on Bumbersnoot with me, and we bolted- as did Oskar and Jak. As we ran the big dragon reappeared and hit Oskar hard enough to drop him. I smacked him with healing to revive him as Bumbersnoot ran past him, and Quinn shot the dragon thing as we bolted toward the elevator. Jak had already gotten to the closet, and upon seeing Oskar wasn't behind us, he went back. Quinn and I hurried back up to the room, sending the elevator back down for the boys. I wanted to wait, but we couldn't all fit in it together, so it made the most sense for us to go up while Jak got Oskar out of there.

       I started looking around for something that would help us defend against the big dragon thing, when we discovered that the desk the body was slumped over was actually a control panel. Jak, trying to help, started randomly pushing buttons- activating the self destruct sequence. Fanfuckingtastic. I was trying to figure out how to undo that when Quinn noticed that the room we were in was a life raft. With that tip, I was able to activate the raft, and whispered a quick prayer to Garl Glittergold, hoping we'd make it.

       Seats popped out of the walls with straps in them, and I discovered straps on the bed. I got Bumbersnoot strapped in and got myself strapped into the seat at the console just as everything began rumbling. Everything was whirling as the room was blown out of the way, tumbling back down the mountain. When we finally stopped moving, we had landed upside down.

       We could see a light coming from the doorway, and Oskar opened it to look out, with Quinn right on his heels. He told her there was a rod on the ground, and she found it by stepping on it and impaling herself... it was fucking Wave. Oskar stabilized her and had a rather entertaining argument with the trident. We'd ended up about halfway down the mountain, which was now steaming- our explosion had caused at least a minor eruption.

       As we gathered ourselves, the red dragon found us. In the chaos I'd forgotten about him. He demanded his treasure, but wasn't interested in our life raft room- he obviously didn't understand how incredible that little room was. Quinn told him there wasn't much coin to be had in the mountain- which was only kinda true. I gave him a few random things we'd found in the mountain that we didn't want. The dragon was peeved and told us to go back in there and get him his treasure. The moment he flew off we piled back into the room and passed out.

       After our rest we were up and stumbling around, getting ready to have some food, when Quinn, Jak, and I began to feel sick. I puked my guts out- not literally- and with the contents of my stomach was one of the snake thingys, like the one that had burst from Quinn's chest yesterday. There was a silvery gleam in there too, like what I'd noticed in the gun. Before I could process this, I had to shit out another one of the snake things... I guess that's what made me feel sick earlier. And I swallowed it. What. The. Fuck.

       Oskar cast a restoration spell on me, then cast it on Quinn, and she puked one of the snake things up. Jak, seeing what Quinn and I had expelled, stuck his fingers down his throat and made himself puke the one inside him up. Quinn began crying, and I sent her back to bed. She needed more sleep after everything she'd been through in the last 24 hours.

Map from "Tales from the Yawning Portal" by Wizards of the Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment